Page banner image

I am told to report to the Head

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kayne on September 13, 2021 at 15:23:23

Back at school now and the timetable said “Rugby” for Friday afternoon last week. Since my run-in with that lorry a while back and subsequently having all the metalwork inserted in my leg and arm, I was told in no uncertain terms by the surgeon that taking part in contact sports was strictly forbidden, no arguing about it! So the school agreed and I have been running or swimming whenever everyone else played sport as part of the timetable.

This year we have a new sports teacher, Mr Walters, who is very young and very keen to exert his authority as a teacher – we guess this is his first teaching job as he barely looks much older than most of us – and the stories circulating on the grapevine about him were not encouraging even after just a few days into the new term. Being in our final year, and as we did last year, we don’t wear uniform and things are considerably more relaxed between teacher and pupil and we are called by our first names and we do the same with our teachers. The rumour was that Mr. Walters had insisted on being called “Sir” or “Mr. Walters, sir” and that he called pupils by their surnames only when taking his first class from the year below us. It is not a great leap of the imagination to guess the nick-name he had already acquired ……….

So first class with him, we all assembled in the sports hall having changed into sports kit, those expecting to play rugby in the shorts, shirts and boots and me in my running gear, quite prepared to be told he’d rather I swam if he wanted it that way.

His opening words were not to introduce himself or anything like that.

“Why are you not in rugby kit, boy?” he asked as he walked up to me.

I’m used to most of our teachers, particularly the sports ones, being taller and broader than me, so I was surprised that I was looking down at him from my ‘lofty’ 5’ 10” height when I looked in his eyes.

“I’m exempt from playing contact sports ….. I have an arm and leg full of metal pins and splints holding the bones together.” I explained.

“SIR!” he rasped “Look, boy, if I say you are playing rugby like everyone else, you will play rugby, is that understood?”

“You can check with Matron and the Head’s secretary …… sir.” I answered “But I will not risk shattering my bones again.”

“Are you defying me?” he asked.

“No sir, just stating the facts.” I said “I usually do either a cross country run or swimming, whichever you’d prefer really …… sir.”

By now several of my mates were trying to chime in.

“Quiet! I’m talking to this boy – I won’t be interrupted – any more talking and you’ll all be reporting for detention later today ….. understood?” he glared around and then turned back to me “You will go now and report to the Head’s office to be dealt with for gross disobedience and talking back to a teacher. Go now and get out of my sight.”

So I did as I was told and reported to the Head’s office where his kindly secretary took the details of my “gross disobedience” and immediately went in to speak to the Head. The Head’s secretary is affectionately nick-named “Mother” by all the pupils and is quite the nicest person you could meet.

I was called in and asked to tell the Head what had happened and what I had been told to report for. He then told me to wait outside.

A few minutes later Mr Walters appeared and knocked on the Head’s door before entering. All was quiet for a few minutes and then I heard the Head’s raised voice “Don’t interrupt me, sir!” and then it went quiet again.

I sat there for what seemed like ages and then I was summoned back in. Mr Walters was nowhere to be seen.

“Take a seat, Kayne, and I’ll tell you what has been decided. You will no longer remain part of any class when ever sports other than cross-country running or swimming are scheduled. Basically that means you will be a free agent for those times, particularly this term and next when rugby is played. However I know that you are keen on running and swimming, and they are good for your lasting injuries, so I will expect you to spend the time gained enjoying those activities. We will specify the planned activities more precisely on the timetable so everyone is aware of what is planned and you can go straight to the pool or go running. I know you won’t abuse this arrangement by trying to bunk off or leave school early knowing you are not being supervised – you’re old enough and responsible enough to be trusted, that’s without question. Mr Walters has been made aware of your situation – I’m just sorry it took my intervention to make him believe what you clearly told him, he has a lot to learn about how we do things here, so let us both be kind and put it down to early settling-in problems. Happy with that solution, Kayne?”

“Yes, of course, Headmaster, I’m sorry to have caused a problem.” I said.

“Not your fault, lad – now off you go and enjoy your run or whatever you want to do.”

“Thank you, sir.”

I decided to go for a swim rather than a run after wasting time on that little episode. I rather lost track of time as I did my lengths in the pool and it was only when I heard the commotion and noise from the changing rooms as the rugby game finished that I realised I should be out of the pool and getting changed myself. I was on my final length to the end of the pool and was swimming towards the steps at the side of the pool when Mr Walters appeared and stood watching me get out.

I grabbed my towel and started to walk past him to go and get changed. I simply said “Hello, sir.”

“If you had explained the situation more fully to me, we need never have gone through that unpleasantness with the Head, you know.” he said as he looked me up and down “Seeing you now with all those scars on your legs and arms, I can quite understand you being exempt from contact sports. You should have been plainer.”

“I thought I was quite plain, sir.”

He simply grunted and turned and walked away.

I think he’s earned his nick-name, seems quite appropriate from what I’ve seen.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

Security Code *
random image
This security code tells us you are human and not a spam robot.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]